Arts & Humanities Newsletter from your Student Senators ☆
Hi I am Drew Coles, the 2015-2016 Doctoral Senator for Arts & Humanities. Simply put, I would like to be a contributing voice in the TC arena with the interests of my home department of Arts and Humanities in mind. Together, we can find a way to make our experiences, take-always, and communal impact the very best they can be. Thank you!
Hello, I’m Thorleifur Gunnarson, the 2015-2016 Masters Senator for Arts & Humanities. I’m a 31 years old student from Iceland who is passionate about education and teaching and excited to be here at Teachers College. I would like this position because I feel it is important to participate in your community and help improve it.
I bring experience, solution oriented thinking and the joy of working with people. I am a former elected board member of the Student council of University of Iceland (similar function to this Student Senate) where I served for two years focusing mostly on issues related to equality. I was the vice president of the student body organization of teacher students at my university where I represented students in various faculty meetings, such as The Study board within the faculty of teacher education, a committee including academic instructors and student representatives that discuss, evaluate and give suggestion to the faculty council; but I also organized many social events. Finally I might bring a fresh view as a foreign student at this great institution.
Let’s Take a Walk!
The last senate meeting was Friday, October 16. Senate meetings are open to the public. We encourage you to attend and give us your feedback, thoughts, and recommendations.
At our Friday, October 2nd senate meeting, we discussed the following:
• Upgrades to the TC WiFi network
• Potential to extend hours at TC CIS Helpdesk
• Progress on TC CIS developing the TC App
• Funding programs on campus
Black History Month Film Festival
Wheel of Engagement
• Registration for Spring Semester: December 7, 2015.
Check out the new “Degree Audit” System under the Welcome tab in myTC. Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Senate Sponsored Events
Poetry Slam — Thursday, November 5, 6:00 PM at Grace Dodge Cafeteria
Upcoming Events Around Campus
• Things I Wish My Teacher Knew About Me: Book Talk — Thursday, October 29, 4:00-5:30 PM
• Write for TC Public Space! (Contact: Matthew Gonzales)
• Check out Students of TC — sharing diverse narratives of students at Teachers College Columbia University, highlighting the intersectionality of our multiple identity stories. (Contact: Abigail Lopez)
• Save the date! Microaggression Workshop — Friday, November 6 (Contact: Gladston Williamson and Christina Marie Chaise)